My First Trip Out West – to Seattle!

I got back a few days ago from another big trip.  This time, I went really, really far – I went to a place called Seattle, in Washington.  I learned something very important – there is a state called Washington, which is not the same as the city called Washington!  (I live near the city called Washington, and the state is on the other side of the country.)

We had to get on a plane really really early, and then we had to change planes in Houston, Texas.  We didn’t see anything but the airport there, but we had enough time to get a yummy egg and cheese Stromboli for breakfast – it felt kind of silly to have inside-out pizza for breakfast!  Then we got on our second plane – and they gave us a really yummy caramel cinnamon cookie called a stroopwafel.  Both plane rides were longer than the one plane ride to Ohio, and I was glad I had a book with me.  I took some naps on the planes, too.  I wasn’t as nervous this time, since I’d been on a plane before – but not TWO in a row!

We landed in Seattle a little after lunchtime.  My friend rented a car again, and we drove into downtown Seattle.  We went to a place called Pike Place Market, a really cool place that sells flowers, fruits and vegetables, fish, and lots of other goodies.  There were also some stores and restaurants in the basement.  We got some delicious Chinese noodles for lunch, and then we walked around a bit more – and my friend got me some macarons, which are from France!  They were really tasty.  Then we drove out to our hotel, which was a little ways outside Seattle.  We had a little dinner next to the hotel and then went to bed early to get ready for another big day.

We got up early the next day, and went across the street because my friend said she needed some coffee – so she got me a maple donut.  It was so good!  Then we drove back downtown to a place called Pioneer Square.  Pioneer Square was one of the very first neighborhoods in Seattle.  We went on something called an Underground Tour – the tour guide showed us around some of the alleys underneath the city and told us all about how Seattle was built, and how they rebuilt it after a big fire!  After the tour, we went to get some lunch at a place that had biscuits and gravy – it was so yummy.

After lunch, we walked back along the waterfront.  We saw a really big ferris wheel!  It looked like a lot of people were on it.  Then we went up to a neighborhood called Fremont.  It was a lot quieter up there.  We walked around for a while…and then we found a troll under a bridge – he was so cool!  He was holding onto a Volkswagen Beetle under his hand.  Then we walked around Fremont a bit more and had some yummy Thai noodles with peanut sauce for dinner.  I love peanuts so much.

The next day, we went to a little town called Edmonds, and went to the beach park.  There were a lot of benches around, and a playground.  There was also a lot of driftwood, and I liked playing on that better than the playground!  The beach itself was nice too – but it was different than the beach I went to before in Delaware.  In Delaware, the beach is right on the ocean – but in Edmonds, the beach is on a sound, and it’s called Puget Sound.  It was so pretty!  There were lots of dogs playing in the water, and a lot of people going out in little boats called kayaks.  I’d like to try a kayak sometime!  My friend found some signs that showed us where the mountains were supposed to be on the other side of the sound – but it was really hazy out, so we couldn’t see them.  (We heard that it was hazy because there are wildfires happening in Canada, which is really close to Seattle.  I hope they’re all okay!)

After we played on the beach for a while, I got a little hungry, so my friend took me to a coffee shop and got me a delicious cinnamon roll.  Then we walked around downtown Edmonds a bit more – we walked into a few cute shops, and found another farmer’s market!  My friend found a really pretty necklace.  Then we walked back to our car, and drove over to a party for my friend’s friend who got married.  There was so much good food, and dancing!  We stayed at the party for a long time, but then I got kinda tired (and it was hot), so we went back to the motel.

Then it was our last day in Seattle.  We went downtown to go find some breakfast, and we walked past the Space Needle!  We decided not to go up though, because it was so hazy and people said we wouldn’t be able to see much – so my friend said we should save it for another trip.  I hope we get to go back someday!  So instead, we went to the Museum of Pop Culture – they had a lot of exhibits about movies, music, and TV shows!  My friend said she liked the David Bowie pictures.  I thought it was cool to see all the famous guitars.  When we finished walking through the museum, we walked around a lot more – we went back to the waterfront, and walked around the neighborhood near Pike Place.  But it was a lot more crowded!  After a while, we went to a neighborhood called Capitol Hill – which was funny, because there is also a neighborhood called Capitol Hill in the Washington near me!  We got some more Thai noodles for a little dinner, and then we went back to the airport to return the car.  We had to wait a while for our flight, cause it was a really late flight – but at least they gave us blankets on the airplane, so I got a good nap!  We changed planes in Houston again, and then we were home.

We did so many things in Seattle in such a short weekend.  It was really fun to see such a different place!  I had heard that Seattle is usually pretty rainy and chilly, but it was hot and hazy – I’m glad my friend had sunscreen with her.  I hope I get to go back someday, to see the mountains and the Space Needle!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s